Friday, September 8, 2017

What is freedom?

Mike Lux asked this at C&L. My response:

In the novel, "The Kite Runner", the narrator's father said all crimes are forms of theft. For today's Republicans, freedom is their freedom to commit any and all variants of theft on anyone not in their tribe, especially for personal gain or profit. This same freedom does not extend to 'outsiders'. For progressives, freedom is the right of all people to live meaningful lives so long as they are respectful of the rights of others. The progressive view of freedom does not have an out-group.


This is my impression of how each group defines freedom. I agree with what I've assigned to progressives. I just doubt that nation-states are the best way to organize societies to deliver that form of freedom. All nation-states concentrate power and concentrated power is inherently about mass reallocation of power; in other words, a form of theft.

No comments:

Post a Comment