Friday, March 3, 2017

Triumph or Tragedy

NPR posted a story on it website yesterday announcing the First Clouded Leopard Cub Born Using Cryopreserved Semen. I am often of two minds with such announcements. As a supporter and advocate of science and information, I cheer at the advancement of knowledge and understanding. IMO, the best justification for scientific inquiry is curiosity interesting; answer an interesting question. In instances when extraordinary efforts are needed to preserve a species, I detest the need to ask the question, often because human destruction of habitat is the root of population decline. When I read the post yesterday, I was angry. Economic greed drives habitat loss and decimates wildlife. Now appeals to the compassion of workers funds this type of research and 'preserves' these lost species in zoos as living exhibits. It's morally wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment